The Faculty of Arts is located within the core of the Main Campus, Samaru. As one of the twelve Faculties of Ahmadu Bello University, is reputed to have existed before the formal establishment of the University. As a foundation Faculty that soon metamorphosed into the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, the Faculty was, from its inception, poised to play a leading role in the administrative development and academic accomplishments of the University. The intricate relationship between the Faculty of Arts and Ahmadu Bello University can be better appreciated by going into the history of the University itself. The idea of a University in Northern Nigeria came up following the recommendations of the Ashby Commission on Higher Education in Nigeria appointed by the Federal Government in 1959. By dint of hard work of the personages assigned to the task, the seed sown by the Lord Eric Ashby Commission quickly matured into fruition and the first University in the North was born on 14th October, 1962. By a unanimous decision of the Northern House of Assembly, it was named after Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto, the Premier of Northern Nigeria, in recognition of his invaluable services to the North and the nation. If Zaria became the site of the new University, it was because of the concentration of relevant academic institutions in this ancient city at the birth of the University.